Operator licences

A private hire operator must ensure that every private hire vehicle dispatched by them to a customer is licensed and driven by a person who holds a private hire or dual drivers licence.

Requirements of a private hire operator licence

  • You must operate your business at an address within the West Oxfordshire District Council area.

How to apply for a private hire operator licence

  • Complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check

Apply for a DBS check

Please note: if you are a licensed driver, or applying to be, and you intend to operate private hire vehicles you are not required to complete an additional DBS check.

  • Select: Disclosure and barring service (DBS) application
  • Enter the following details:
    • Organisation reference - COTSWOLD
    • Organisation Code – council
    • You will need to pay £54.69 online fee for an enhanced application

When you have completed and submitted the form, please:

To process your application, you must bring three forms of identification to the Council offices to be checked by a member of reception. Applicants who hold a valid passport and drivers licence must present these as two of their three forms of ID. Please see the full list of ID that is allowed for a DBS check:

If you have any previous cautions or convictions, these will need to be determined by a Licensing Sub-Committee.

Apply for a private hire operator licence

Once your DBS has been carried out (if required), please return your completed application form and fee of £72 (this includes two vehicles, additional vehicles are an extra £30 each) by:

  • Email (pay by phone) to: ers@2020partnership.uk
  • Post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Woodgreen, New Yatt Road, Witney, OX28 1NB

Your licence will be processed within two working days

Renewing an operator licence

Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:

  • download the application form from this page
  • make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.

Immigration Act 2016 - proof of right to work

Applicants are required to prove that they have the right to work within the UK. We will call to arrange a 10 minute face-to-face interview to which you will need to bring in your original documents and suitable ID:

  • View list of valid ID documents
  • If you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring in a form of ID from List A
  • If you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring in a form of ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2 depending on which group applies to you.

This check is only needed once and, if you have the right to work, will not be required again for future renewals. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we will need to check each time the licence is renewed. We will keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB