Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of existing benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
  • Income-based Employment & Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit. 

At the moment, only single jobseekers can claim Universal Credit in West Oxfordshire. The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is in the process of extending Universal Credit to everyone. 

If you want to make a new claim for one of the six benefits or tax credits listed above, from November 2017 you will have to claim Universal Credit instead. 

For more a more detailed explanation about Universal Credit see the: DWP Universal Credit video on YouTube

If you’re already receiving benefits

If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date. 

How we can help

Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP, not the Council, we are here to support you. We provide support to Universal Credit claimants: 

  • Help to make and manage your claim online
  • Help and advice if you are struggling to manage payments
  • Additional support for paying council tax

You can also contact us by email or by calling 01993 861030.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB