Council Tax bands & appeals
The Valuation Office Agency (VOA), not the Council, allocates every property one of eight bands based on its value on 1 April 1991. Even if you live in a new property the VOA will work out the band based on what the property value would have been in 1991.
Find your property's Council Tax band and annual charge:
- Type your house number and street or postcode in the 'Postcode search' box and click Go
- Find your address in the list and click the Select your address button
- Your house's Council Tax band and annual charge will be displayed in the box.
|Council Tax Band||Property Value|
|A||Up to £40,000|
|B||£40,001 to £52,000|
|C||£52,001 to £68,000|
|D||£68,001 to £88,000|
|E||£88,001 to £120,000|
|F||£120,001 to £160,000|
|G||£160,001 to £320,000|
Long term empty properties
These are properties which are unoccupied and unfurnished for 6 months or more. No discount is awarded. Where a property has remained unoccupied and unfurnished for 24 months or more an extra 50% premium will be added to the charge.
Appealing your Council Tax banding
You may be able to appeal your Council Tax band. For more information contact the Valuation Office:
- Valuation Office Agency website
- call: 03000 501501
- write to: The Valuation Office Agency, 4400 Nash Court, Oxfordshire Business Park South, Garsington Road, Oxford, OX4 2RU.
If you appeal against your banding you must continue paying your Council Tax until a decision has been made.