Housing grants & loans
See below information on:
- Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant
- Flexible Home Improvement Loan
Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)
The Mandatory Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) helps towards the cost of home adaptations so that disabled people can live independently in their own homes and is available to:
- home owners
- private tenants
- housing association tenants.
The grant is means tested but if the cost of the adaptations is more than the grant you may also be able to apply for a Flexible Home Improvement Loan - see information below.
Home adaptations covered
The home adaptations covered by the grant include the following:
- level access shower facilities
- ground floor bedrooms
- door widening
- kitchen alterations.
For more information please see the: Home adaptations guide
Apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)
You will need an occupational therapist to assess your needs who will then refer you to us. You can arrange for an assessment by contacting:
- Oxfordshire County Council's Social and Health Care Service
- Call 08450 507666
- Or you can ask your GP to arrange a referral through an occupational therapist for you.
Flexible Home Improvement Loan
The Flexible Home Improvement Loan is for home owners aged 60 or over and can be used:
- for essential repairs to your home, for example upgrading your heating system or
- to invest in a newly refurbished bathroom or
- towards a Disabled Facilities Grant if the total cost is greater than the grant you can claim.
Details of the loan
- is a form of equity release mortgage with a low rate of interest and
- can be repaid at any time by regular monthly payments, occasional payments or no payments at all
- can be paid off at any time without penalty
- must be repaid if the home is sold or if the owners cease to occupy it
The fees for the loan
The fees below can be added to the loan:
- £80 documentation and registration fee for loans from £1,000 up to £100,000
- £15 annual charge for administration and statements
- Possible charge from your mortgage provider to give us information
- Possible charges if you decide to use a solicitor
- £50 fee to cancel the registered charge when the loan is paid off.
For more information please:
- See the Flexible Home Improvement Loan leaflet
- Call 01993 861000
- Visit the Flexible Home Improvement Loan Ltd website
For information about housing options for adults with a physical disability please: