Elections: media information
On Thursday 3 May 2018 there elections are for:
- 17 seats on West Oxfordshire District Council
- 11 seats on Burford Town Council
- 9 seats on Ducklington Parish Council; and
- 5 seats on Swinbrook & Widford Parish Council
The count will take place overnight in Witney and results will be announced in the early hours of Friday 4 May.
To apply for media accreditation to attend the count either:
District Council elections
- The seats on the District Council are currently held by 14 Conservatives, 1 Liberal Democrat and 1 Labour representative. There is also one vacancy (formerly a Conservative seat).
- The total number of candidates is 63, comprising 17 Conservatives; nine Greens; three Independents; 17 Labour/Labour and Co-operative; and 17 Liberal Democrats
- There is one seat to be filled in each Ward, with the exception of Freeland and Hanborough, where two Councillors will be elected. The person with the most votes will serve a four year term to May 2022; and the second person elected will serve to May 2020.
- 11 sitting councillors are seeking re-election
For more details see our Future elections webpage.
Current political balance
Each of the 49 councillors is elected for a four year term. The current political balance of the Council is:
- 39 Conservative
- 5 Liberal Democrats
- 4 Labour
- 1 vacancy (to be filled on 3 May 2018)
General information and filming permissions
- There will be 50 polling stations in West Oxfordshire on 3 May 2018. They will be open from 7am - 10pm. (You cannot film inside a polling station. However, you can film outside if in a public area).
- For other filming locations, you will need permission from the relevant landowner. Please see our Filming in West Oxfordshire webpage.
- Any requests for information about any of the candidates must be directed to their agent.
The following links may be useful for members of the media wanting information about elections:
- Election results (including results for General, European, district/town/parish elections)
- Future elections
- West Oxfordshire factfile
- Guide to Council services
- Follow @WodcNews
- Follow @WestOxElections