Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces a number of existing benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit. 

West Oxfordshire is in a Full Universal Credit Area so you will need to apply direct to The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for help towards your Housing costs. For further information please:

How to apply 

Universal Credit is claimed and managed online. 

Apply for Universal Credit - GOV.UK

If you’re already receiving benefits

If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date. 

How we can help

Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP, not the Council, we are here to support you. We provide the following support to Universal Credit claimants: 

  • Help and financial advice if you are struggling to manage payments.
  • view council tax support page for additional support for paying council tax
  • view Discretionary housing payments page - to help people who are receiving their Housing costs paid through Universal Credit but are struggling to pay their rent, or need help with moving costs or rent in advance

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB