Caravans & campsites
To run a caravan and camping site in West Oxfordshire you will need a licence from us. There are three types of licence.
- Touring site
Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for, to apply see:
The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply.
You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence.
You don’t need a caravan and camping licence for:
- A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
- A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
- Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
- Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
- Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
- Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
- A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.)
Apply online for a caravan and camping site
Apply for a caravan and camping site licence
We may put conditions on the licence.
Fees and charges for caravan and camping site licences
A fees policy was introduced in 2015:
- View the Mobile homes policy
Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.
|Details of fee||Number of caravans||Fee 2017/18|
|Fee for depositing site rules||Not applicable||£37.14|
|Application for a new site licence||5 or less||£312.00|
|6 to 24||£420.24|
|25 to 99||£500.89|
|100 to 199||£580.48|
|200 and over||£662.19|
|Annual fee for existing site licence||5 or less||£261.06|
|6 to 24||£345.95|
|25 to 99||£431.91|
|100 to 199||£504.07|
|200 and over||£580.48|
|Transfer/amendment of an existing site licence||Not applicable||£100.40|
|Administrative and other expenses to serve notice under the Mobile Homes Act 2013||Not applicable||£300.00|
Next steps in application for a caravan and camping licence
If you haven’t heard from us by the end of the target completion period please contact us.