Sex establishments

To run a sex shop – ie any premises selling sex toys, books or videos – or a venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public, a licence is required.

However, you may apply to waive the requirement of a licence.

Apply online

You can apply online using the Government's website:

Apply for a sex shop and cinema licence

Eligibility criteria

An applicant:

  • must be over 18 years old
  • must not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • must have been resident in the UK at least six months immediately prior to the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK
  • must not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB