Hackney carriage vehicle licences
To operate your vehicle as a taxi you need to get it licensed.
Hackney Carriage (taxi) vehicles
- Can be hailed immediately (or pre-booked) by customers
- Can use the designated taxi ranks anywhere within the West Oxfordshire District Council area
- Have maximum meter fares set by the council
Requirements of licence
- For new and transfer applications the vehicle must be less than 5 years old from date of first registration.
- For renewal applications the vehicle must be less than 15 years old from date of first registration.
- The vehicle must be fitted with a meter, roof signs, no smoking signs, first aid kit and fire extinguisher
(Wheelchair accessible vehicles are exempt from the Age Policy. Specialist vehicles e.g. purpose built hackney carriage, Rolls Royce, stretched limousines etc. may also be exempt from the age policy at the discretion of the Licensing Officers)
Documents required with taxi licence application
- Insurance showing that you are covered for hire and reward/public hire use
- Meter calibration certificate
- An MOT (unless the vehicle is less than 1 year old from registration date)
- V5 (or proof of purchase)
- Completed application form (when you sign this you are agreeing to our conditions which can be found in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Policy)
- LOLER and weight test certificate (wheelchair accessible vehicles only)
Taxi licence fee
There is a fee of £246 for a new vehicle or £180 to renew a vehicle
Apply for or renew a hackney carriage vehicle licence
Please return your completed application form, documents and fee by:
- Email (pay by phone) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post or deliver to: Licensing, Environmental and Regulatory Services, Town Centre Shop, 3 Welch Way, Witney, OX28 6JH
Your licence will be processed within 5 working days.
Taxi licence renewals
Please make sure that you know your licence expiry date. Renewal documents will not be provided so as the licence holder it's your responsibility to:
- download the application form from this page
- make sure you return the form to Environmental and Regulatory Services (ERS) 7 working days before the licence expires so we can process your renewal.
If you allow your licence to expire you will need to submit a new application rather than a renewal, therefore the new application criteria will apply
Transfers of vehicle licences
Apply to transfer a hackney carriage vehicle licence
Transfers follow the same requirements as new vehicles and will be processed within 1 working day.
Transfer vehicle fees
|Temporary Vehicle (Insurance Company)||£246|
|Transfer vehicle licence to another person||£25|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (1 year)||£180|
|Transfer vehicle to another vehicle (remainder of plate)||£86|
|Change of Registration Number||£86|
Other vehicle fees
|Replacement Vehicle Internal Plate||£28|
|Replacement Vehicle External Plate||£33|
|Administration charge for any other requests||£25|
Refunds will not be issued for any licences