Change of DPS

The new person you wish to appoint as the designated premises supervisor (DPS) must be a personal licence holder.

Immigration Act 2016 - right to work and immigration status

From 6 April 2017, the licence holder is required to ensure that the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) has provided documentation to themselves to prove their entitlement to work/immigration status in the UK.

To be a DPS they must be resident in the UK and:

  • Have the right to live and work in the UK and
  • Have no conditions preventing them from doing the licensable activity 

To prove this the DPS needs to include copies or scans (which don’t need to be certified) of the following documents:

The licence holder needs to sign the application to vary the DPS to say that they are satisfied that this is the case.


This allows community premises (e.g. village halls) to apply for the requirement to have a DPS to be removed.  The management committee would then be collectively responsible for alcohol sales.

This application can be made either with a new/variation application for a premises licence or to an existing premises licence.

How to apply

Specify an individual as DPS

DPS to be disapplied

Request to be removed as DPS

Consent to be DPS

You can also apply by downloading an application form and sending it to the licensing department. If you apply by this method you will also need to send a copy of the application form to the chief officer of Police.


The fee for the variation/removal of a community premises Designated Premises Supervisor is £23.

What happens next

The application may take effect immediately or on a date specified in the application form. We will issue you with a revised premises licence and licence summary.

If the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the premises is situated is satisfied that the exceptional circumstances of the case are such that granting the application would undermine the crime prevention objective, he must give a notice of this to the licensing authority within 14 days. We will then hold a hearing to determine the notice given by the Police.

West Oxfordshire District Council
New Yatt Road
OX28 1PB