The government have published guidance on travelling safely during Covid-19.
Make sure your taxi or private hire vehicle is safe and legal:
- a licensed vehicle will display a licence plate on the rear of the vehicle
- a licensed driver will wear or display an identity badge with the licence number and licensing authority details
Sit in the back of the vehicle and make sure you can easily access your mobile phone.
If you feel uneasy, make a note of the taxi number plate and driver’s licence number and text them to a friend or family member.
To report any concerns call the Licensing Team on 01993 861000 or email email@example.com
There are two types of vehicle which carry fare-paying passengers.
Hackney carriages (taxis)
- can use taxi ranks
- can be hailed in the street
- do not need to be pre-booked
- the council sets their fare and have a meter
- have a blue licence
- display taxi roof signs
Private hire vehicles
- must be booked in advance
- have a yellow licence
- should agree their fare in advance