The grant is to support people who are struggling to afford food and other essentials due to COVID-19. It is supported by Oxfordshire County Council and West Oxfordshire District Council. There are two parts:
- funding for individuals
- funding for groups
The scheme opens on 1 September 2020 and will remain open until 31 October 2020. This may be extended if funds haven’t been allocated by then.
Funding for Individuals
Funding is available to help individuals or families struggling to afford food and other essential items due to changing circumstances caused by COVID-19. Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire is overseeing the scheme and will check eligibility to receive support. Groups need to refer clients directly, individuals cannot apply without a referral. For more information and to request a referral form contact Citizens Advice West Oxfordshire on 01993 892057 or email email@example.com.
Funding for groups
The government says the funding should be used:
- to meet immediate need and help those who are struggling to afford food and essentials due to COVID-19
- provide advice and information to residents affected by COVID-19 to help them access longer term support they might need, such as benefits
- to support existing schemes, expand the scope of activities underway, deliver activities in partnership with other organisations
We are committed to promoting equality and diversity and welcome applications from organisations representing minority or vulnerable groups. We encourage all applicants to make their projects as inclusive and accessible to all as possible.
Who can apply
These organisations can apply for funding:
- foodbanks and food projects including larders and community fridges supporting vulnerable residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- community and voluntary organisations offering advice, guidance and training to those affected by the pandemic, to build their capacity particularly around financial hardship
- community groups supporting vulnerable residents affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
- constituted community based organisations
- community interest companies
- non-profit community organisations
- non-profit businesses
- Town and Parish Councils where they are working in partnerships with unconstituted third sector organisations or where there are no other providers operating in the same area
Priority will be given to organisations based in West Oxfordshire. Organisations based outside the district will need to demonstrate that they are working in partnership with a local group or delivering something not done by others in the same area.
We cannot accept applications from:
- profit-based businesses (private businesses)
- political and lobbying groups
- community groups not directly supporting residents affected by COVID-19
- community groups not formally constituted
These lists are not exhaustive, and our decision is final.
You can apply for up to £5,000 per application. You can apply for capital or revenue expenses.
Capital expenses may include buying or replacing essential equipment for example, if a food bank needs a fridge or to expand storage capacity.
Revenue expenses may include supporting a food bank with running costs, food supplies, utility, rental and staffing costs, and buying non-food supplies.
We cannot fund the following:
- projects outside the district boundaries
- any activity that does not assist the community response to the Coronavirus pandemic
- statutory activities or requirements that either the council or another public-sector
- organisation is responsible for delivering
- projects that specifically benefit private businesses
- political activities, lobbying or campaigning
- retrospective requests for activities that have already taken place
- previous applicants
How to apply
Contact us for an application form on 01993 861000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and you will be notified within two weeks of us receiving your applications.
Successful applicants will receive an email asking them to confirm their acceptance of the grant. We need to receive this back before we can process the payment.