We have a duty to investigate any vehicles reported as abandoned within our area.
A vehicle will only be removed if we are satisfied it is abandoned. Before the vehicle is removed a notice will be placed on the vehicle. A taxed and MOT’d vehicle that is parked legally and is in a good condition is not classed as abandoned and we would not investigate.
A vehicle may be abandoned if it is:
- stationary for a significant amount of time
- significantly damaged or un-roadworthy
- containing waste
- lacking one or more of its number plates
Burning or burnt out vehicles should be reported to the police in the first instance.Check if a vehicle is taxed - GOV.UK
Report an abandoned vehicle
Please make sure you have the following information:
- vehicle registration number
- make and model of the vehicle
- location (use the map to pin the location but include the postcode if possible)
- photographs of the vehicle are very useful, but do not take risks or trespass to get them
- your details in case we need further information
Describe the location of the vehicle as clearly as possible, including any local landmarks nearby.
We aim to inspect a vehicle within 48 hours of it being reported. The correct process needs to be followed and it may take some time to remove it.Report an abandoned vehicle