Skip to main content

Report graffiti or fly-posting

Removing graffiti (including drawings, scribbles, messages or tags) that are painted, written or carved on walls and other surfaces is the responsibility of a variety of different agencies and property owners.

Council owned properties

West Oxfordshire District Council is responsible for removing graffiti from council owned properties including offices, leisure centres, public toilets, rubbish bins and fences.

To report graffiti on property owned by the council call 01993 861000 or report it online:

Report graffiti

Where possible we will:

  • Remove offensive graffiti on areas that we are responsible for within one working day
  • Remove other graffiti on a council building within 10 working days

Street furniture

The companies that own street furniture such as post boxes and telecommunications cabinets are responsible for removing the graffiti. Contact the company responsible to ask them to remove it. Remember to give the exact location and box number if shown:

Your local town or parish council may be responsible for bus shelters in your area. In this case you will need to contact the clerk to report any incidents of graffiti.


Fly-posting is the unlawful display of advertisements (usually for events or businesses) pasted, attached or painted on to buildings, street furniture or other structures (including trees and the surface of the road or pavement) without the consent of the owner or the necessary permission.

Report fly-posting

It is a problem because:

  • It can be unsightly and is a defacement of the property on which it is placed
  • In some locations it could be a distraction to motorists
  • It may obliterate or obscure legitimate signage, such as road signs

The law says:

  • The application of posters, notices and stickers should be restricted to legal advertising sites which are authorised notice boards
  • Persistent offenders can be issued with Fixed Penalty Notices or prosecuted

Charity events can advertise under certain conditions. For more information call 01993 861000.

The council also has a protocol on the siting of A-boards:

Highway signs, speed cameras or traffic bollards 

To report graffiti on highway signs, speed camera and traffic bollards (not street name plates) contact Oxfordshire County Council.

Private housing or business premises

The owner of the property is responsible for its removal. If you live in a housing association property contact your local housing officer.

We can advise on graffiti removal on private buildings and businesses premises. Call us on 01993 861000 for details.

How to prevent graffiti

  • Don't paint outside walls white    
  • Apply pebble dash type surfaces to walls rather than smooth, rendered concrete
  • Grow plants and shrubs against walls to restrict access to surfaces
  • Prevent access to roofs by coating drainpipes with non-drying paint available from DIY stores
  • Secure fencing around the property to limit access
  • Install security cameras
  • Coat walls with a suitable graffiti resistant coating

If you witness somebody damaging property with graffiti, call 101 immediately to report it.