Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Privacy and data
  3. Service privacy notices
  4. Building Control - Privacy Notice

Building Control - Privacy Notice

Who we are and what we do

The Council is a data controller under the Data Protection Legislation as we collect and process personal information about you in order to provide services and meet our statutory and regulatory obligations.

This notice explains why we ask for your personal information, how that information will be used and how you can access your records.

Any questions regarding our privacy practices should be sent to:

Data Protection Officer (DPO)
West Oxfordshire District Council
Council Offices,
OX28 1NB

Telephone: 01993 861194

Why we collect your personal information

We will collect enough personal information in order to provide you with services for the following purposes.

  • Process your Building Regulation Application
  • Deal with the Dangerous structure
  • Process your Demolition notification
  • Issue Safety Certificate for designated Sports Grounds
  • Deal with your general enquiry, comment or complaint.

We don’t sell your personal information to anyone else.

What is the legal process for collecting and processing this data

We are collecting your personal data for the following purposes:

  • To fulfil our legal obligations around the Building Control process
  • Administer building regulation related applications and determine their outcomes
  • For the prevention or detection of crime or fraud

There are a number of legal reasons why we need to collect and use your personal information. For this service:

  • Contract: you have entered into a contract with us.
  • Legal obligation: it is required by law, the Building Act 1984, Building Regulations 2010 as amended and the Safety at Sports Ground Act 1975.

What type of information is collected from you

We may collect the following information to meet our obligations in regards to Building Control:

  • Name (Applicant and/or Agent)
  • Address (Applicant and/or Agent)
  • Telephone number (Applicant and/or Agent)
  • Email (Applicant and/or Agent)
  • Signature
  • Other relevant information such as ownership of land
  • Information relating to expressed opinions or intentions in respect to an application
  • Any other information provided during the application process

We can collect your information via the following methods:

  • On an application form
  • Via Application submission documents
  • Through pre-application enquiries – email, telephone, letter etc
  • Comments in relation to consultations

The above list is not exhaustive.

Who we may share your information with

We use a range of organisations to either store personal information or to help deliver our services to you. Sometimes we have a legal duty to provide your personal information to other organisations, for example the court service or HMRC.

We may also share your personal information with these organisations

  • Local Fire Authorities
  • Police Authorities
  • Water and Sewerage Providers
  • Electricity and Gas Supply Companies
  • Sports Ground Safety Authority
  • Other Council Departments such as Planning, Revenue, Housing, Legal.

Your information will not be disclosed to any other organisations, except where we are required and allowed to by law. We will not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes. 

How long we keep information about you

We only keep your data for as long as necessary. We keep the personal information you provide for 15 years after:

  • completion of your project;
  • you have received your certificate of completion.

How we protect your Information

We will not transfer your personal data outside the EU without your consent.

We have implemented generally accepted standards of technology and operational security in order to protect personal data from loss, misuse, or unauthorised alteration or destruction.  

Please note however that where you are transmitting information to us over the internet this can never be guaranteed to be 100% secure.  

For any payments which we take from you online we will use a recognised online secure payment system. We will notify you promptly in the event of any breach of your personal data which might expose you to serious risk.

Your rights

You have rights under the Data Protection Legislation:

  • to access your personal data
  • to be provided with information about how your personal data is processed
  • to have your personal data corrected
  • to have your personal data erased in certain circumstances
  • to object to or restrict how your personal data is processed
  • to have your personal data transferred to yourself or to another business in certain circumstances
  • to be told if we have made a mistake whilst processing your data and we will self-report breaches to the Commissioner

How you can access, update or correct your information

The Data Protection Legislation allows you to find out what information is held about you, on paper and computer records. This is known as ‘right of subject access’ and applies to your data along with all other personal records. 

If you wish to see a copy of your records you should contact the Data Protection Officer. You are entitled to receive a copy of our records free of charge, within a month.

In certain circumstances access to your records may be limited, for example, if the records you have asked for contain information relating to another person.

The accuracy of your information is important to us to be able to provide relevant services more quickly. We are working to make our record keeping more efficient. In the meantime, if you change your address or email address, or if any of your circumstances change or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date please email us or write to us at:

Building Control
West Oxfordshire District Council
Council Offices
OX28 1PB
Contact us

Further information

If you would like to know more about how we use your information, or if for any reason you do not wish to have your information used in any of the ways described in this leaflet, please tell us. Contact the Data Protection Officer

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner: