Skip to main content

Caravan and campsites

To run a caravan and camping site in West Oxfordshire you will need a licence from us. There are three types of licence.

  • Residential
  • Holiday
  • Touring site

Planning permission is required before this licence can be applied for.

The purpose of the licence is to protect the health, safety and welfare of caravan occupants and to address issues such as fire safety, electrical safety, drainage, adequate amenities and a wholesome water supply.  

You can be fined up to £2,500 for permitting any part of your land to be used as a caravan site without holding a site licence. 

Fit and Proper Person Test

New requirements mean The Manager of a Residential site is required to pass a Fit and Proper Person assessment. The mobile home owner or the person appointed to manage the site must apply to the Council by 30 September 2021.

Apply for a fit and proper person assessment 

There is a fee of £268 to complete the Fit and Proper Person application which will be invoiced to you upon receipt. 

Please email your application to or post to ERS, Council Offices, Woodgreen New Yatt Road, Witney OX28 1NB.

You are required to submit a DBS certificate for each manager.

We’ll only accept your DBS certificate if it’s less than 30 days old. Further guidance is available from website

You don’t need a caravan and camping licence for:

  • A caravan sited within the curtilage of a dwelling, provided the caravan is not occupied separately.
  • A single caravan sited for not more than two consecutive nights for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club.
  • Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation which are for members only.
  • Sites occupied by the local authority. These are usually gypsy sites.
  • Sites for temporary and special purposes such as caravan rallies run by exempted organisations, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents only can be used for a maximum of 42 days consecutively or 60 days in a 12 month period. (Planning consent is required for use of land on more than 28 days.)
Apply for a caravan and camping site licence

We may put conditions on the licence.

Fees and charges

Licences will not be issued to applicants who have had a site licence revoked within three years of the current application.

If you haven’t heard from us by the end of the target completion period please contact us at

Fees for 2024 to 2025

New site application


- 5 or less units


- 6 to 24 units


- 25 to 99 units


- 100 to 199 units


- 200 units and over



Annual Fee for existing site licence


- 5 or less units


- 6 to 24 units


- 25 to 99 units


-100 to 199 units


- 200 units and over



Other Fees


Transfer I amendment of existing site licence


Change Site Conditions


Site Rules Deposit


Administrative and other expenses to serve notice under the Mobile Homes Act 2013


Fit and Proper Persons Register for West Oxfordshire District Council - The Mobile Homes (Requirement for Manager of Site to be Fit and Proper Person) (England) Regulations 2020

Where to stay

Find caravans and camping in West Oxfordshire.