Skip to main content

Organising public events

The organisation of any public event, regardless of its size or the numbers of people attending, requires careful planning to ensure the safety of the public.

Street parties and fetes

Street parties and fetes may require a licence and, if taking place on the highway, may need a road closure.

Read the guide to organising a street party

Road closures

Applicants wishing to close a road on a temporary basis to hold a parade or a street party require formal permissions to do so, and prior approval must be given by the council before a road may be closed.

Apply for a temporary road closure

Serving alcohol at street parties or fetes

Sharing alcoholic drinks with your neighbours at a private party does not require a licence. If you plan to sell alcohol you need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) which is a simple process but please apply in plenty of time and at least ten working days before the event.

Apply for a temporary event notice

Other public events

Any event which involves the sale of alcohol or food, or the playing of amplified or live music, may require a licence.

Event safety

If you are holding an event, you will be legally responsible for the safety of anyone attending and will need to notify the Safety Advisory Group. For more information and notification forms see:

Events on or affecting the public highway

If you are planning a larger event that will require a road closure please contact Oxfordshire County Council.