Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Business and licensing
  3. Apply or renew licences and permits
  4. Taxi and private hire licensing
  5. Driver licences

Driver licences

From 4th April you will need to complete a tax check on GOV.UK when you apply or renew your licence.

There are 2 types of taxi driver licence:

Private hire licence

  • can only drive private hire vehicles
  • can not accept bookings unless they are, or work for, a licensed operator
  • must be pre-booked

Dual driver (Hackney carriage)

  • can drive both taxis and private hire vehicles
  • can use designated taxi ranks and be flagged down in the street

What you will need to apply for a licence


  • £262.50 for a new licence or £194.25 for a licence renewal
  • £78.75 for Knowledge Test
  • £85 for driver assessment Taxi Test
  • £50.69 for an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) certificate
  • £50 for safeguarding and disability awareness training course

Renew a licence

You can renew your licence at a reduced cost if you return the application form at least 7 days before your licence expires.

If your licence has expired, you’ll need to apply for a new licence at the full cost.

It is your responsibility to check the expiry date of your licence. We will not send you a reminder or any other documents.


Return your completed application form, supporting documents and fee to

Or you can post them to us at:

Environmental and Regulatory Services
Council Offices
OX28 1NB

How you can pay:

  • by phone (01993) 861000
  • by cheque sent with your application form

We’ll process your application within 5 working days.

Knowledge test

You can book your Knowledge test by calling 01993 861000. You must bring photo ID.

More information:

The test covers the following categories:

For dual drivers (Hackney Carriage and Private Hire):

  • Highway Code – The national rules for safe driving
  • Numeracy – Simple calculations on time, distance and costs
  • Policy questions – You should read the policy document at the bottom of this page
  • Routes – Road names and numbers within the district, major destinations and motorways
  • Places of interest – Places within the district, including pubs, hotels, supermarkets

For private hire drivers:

  • Highway Code – The national rules for safe driving
  • Numeracy – Simple calculations on time, distance and costs
  • Policy questions – You should read the policy document at the bottom of this page

There are 20 questions in each section. You must answer 16 correctly in each section and score 80% correct in total.

You will get your result within 5 days of the test.

Further information is available in the licensing policy below.

Medical examinations

You’ll need a DVLA Group 2 medical examination, which you can arrange with your GP or medical practice. Your GP should perform the exam, or a practitioner with access to your medical records. If your GP can not complete the vision assessment, you may also need an appointment with an optician or optometrist.

Download a medical examination report and view guidance

Your report must be accompanied by the Council’s Medical Declaration Form, which is signed by you and the GP at the time of the exam. We will not accept your medical report without a declaration form and you will have to return to your GP to complete it.

Some drivers hove certain medical conditions that may require them having more frequent medicals. For example, if you hove diabetes managed by insulin or a sulphonylurea or a glinide, a full medical is required at the usual intervals determined by your age and any other medico I conditions, and in addition on annual specialist medical will be required in accordance with DVLA Group 2 guidelines - for more details please see this annual diabetic medlcal form and guidance which should be sent to us once complete. If you ore unable to find a specialist to complete this form, send us an email so we can assist with a referral.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) checks

You can apply for an enhanced application online. Enter the following details:

  • Organisation reference: COTSWOLD
  • Organisation Code: council
  • Workforce: Other Workforce
  • Child and adult barring lists

When you have submitted the form, email your reference to

You’ll need to send us 3 types of ID to process your application. A full list of the valid ID types is available on GOV.UK.

You must also sign up to the DBS Online Update Service within 30 days of your DBS certificate being issued. You must send your certificate number to the licensing team. We will suspend your licence if you do not sign up to the Service.

Our licensing Sub-Committee will consider any previous cautions or convictions when processing your application. Refer to our policy on convictions for more information.

Your criminal record will automatically be checked every 6 months using the online update service.  Please ensure that you keep your registration active and inform the DBS of any bank card changes (e.g. expiry/change of bank account).  Failure to keep the subscription active will result in the update service expiring and you may face suspension whilst a new DBS is applied for.

Driver assessment

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) no longer provide taxi driving assessments for local councils. We have introduced a Local Driver Assessment instead.

The assessment takes 2 hours and is in 2 parts. An instructor will:

  1. evaluate your driving performance and give you notes to improve
  2. re-assess your driving to see if you have improved

Assessments are available during the day, evening and at weekends. To book, contact one of the assessors below:


Mobile number


Rory Colleton

07941 419797

Glenn Gannon





Safeguarding and Equality Awareness training courses

All drivers must complete safeguarding and disability awareness training. You must renew it every 3 years.

Oxfordshire County Council provide the safeguarding training sessions, which you can book by email.

You will still be charged the full fee if you book the course and do not attend.

After completing the training, you must send us a copy of your certificate to

Proof of right to work (Immigration Act 2016) and additional requirements for foreign nationals

After you apply we’ll call to book a 10 minute interview, to check that you have the right to work in the UK. You’ll need to bring original documents for this check, please view the list of suitable IDs.

  • if you have a permanent right to work within the UK, you will need to bring ID from List A
  • if you have a period of 'leave' you will need to bring ID from List B, Group 1 or Group 2, depending on which group applies.

We only need to do this check once if you have a permanent right to work. If you have a period of ‘leave’ we’ll need to check each time your licence is renewed.

We keep copies of the documents on file for audit purposes and for potential information sharing with the Home Office.

Additional Requirements for foreign nationals

The DBS Criminal Record Check covers England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland. If you are a foreign national or have lived outside of these countries, we must be satisfied that you are a "fit and proper person". We must also take account of any offences committed outside these countries.

If you are a foreign national or have lived outside of England, Wales and the Republic of Ireland, please read Section 1.1 of the Taxi and Private Hire Policy. This explains what documents you must submit with your application.

National Register of Refusals and Revocations (NR3)

West Oxfordshire District Council has signed up to the National Register of Taxi Licence Refusals and Revocations (NR3). From 1st October 2021 Officers will use the register to check all new and renewal driver applications to establish whether they have had a licence revoked or an application refused by another authority. 

English Proficiency

You must provide an appropriate educational certificate for a qualification related to English. Acceptable qualifications may include a GCSE (or equivalent) in a subject such as English language or literature, a degree in a subject containing substantial English content, or an NVQ or BTEC in a subject that requires its students to communicate well in English. If you are unable to provide an appropriate education certificate you must pass an English Proficiency Test through an approved assessor. 

Other Driver fees



Replacement driver badge  


Fee to convert from Private Hire to Dual Driver (not including the knowledge test fee)


Administration charge for any other requests     


We will not refund any licences.

Related Documents