Health and safety at work
We plan health and safety work and react to health and safety issues in accordance with guidance from the Health and Safety Executive. We aim to:
- Protect the health, safety and welfare of all people affected by work activities for which we have enforcement responsibility which include:
- shops and offices
- hotels and catering establishments
- sports and leisure and consumer services
- places of worship and warehouses
- Promote health and safety within these activities by carrying out planned projects.
Responsibility in most other workplaces falls to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
Report an accident at work
Report injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences regulations (RIDDOR):Report an accident at work
Download a health and safety action plan
After a visit by a health and safety officer if you are asked to fill in a health and safety action plan. Here is the template:
Risk assessments are an essential part of ensuring your business operates in a safe and legal manner, so that employees and public are protected. If you are a small or medium sized employer and have difficulty doing a risk assessment to meet the requirements of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 see the HSE example risk assessments.
Chemicals and other hazardous substances
Read the guidance: Control Of Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) Essentials.
Help and advice for new businesses
Read advice for start up companies and small businesses: ABC to Health and Safety.
Other health and safety information and guidance
For more health and safety information visit the Health and Safety Executive website.