Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council Tax and benefits
  3. Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support

You may be able to get help with your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income or claim benefits. The help you could receive will depend on:

  • your circumstances (for example, income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income, this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you

Apply for Council Tax Support

Apply for Council Tax Support online

If you cannot apply online for any reason, contact the benefit team on 01993 861030 or email to request assistance.

Check you have provided the evidence listed as your application cannot be processed without it. 

Deciding applications

We aim to decide complete applications with all required supporting evidence within 14 days. If we need further information to support your claim we will contact you. Make sure we have a contact number on your claim form. This will speed up the processing of your claim. We will let you know when your claim has been assessed.

Backdating a claim

If you haven't been able to apply for benefits immediately we may be able to backdate your application.

Help with housing costs

You may be eligible for help with housing costs.

Second Adult Rebate for pension age customers

Second Adult Rebate is for single people, who have reached state pension age, who pay Council Tax but share their home with another adult aged 18 or over, who is on a low income and does not pay rent.

To claim this rebate then the person or people sharing your home must not be:

  • your partner (married or unmarried)
  • under 18
  • paying rent
  • liable for the Council Tax
  • a joint owner or joint tenant
  • already disregarded for a discount on your council tax bill; for example you must not be getting a student discount of 25%

If you want to claim this benefit, please contact the benefit team on 01993 861030 or email to request an application form.

External support agencies

For further help see our list of external support agencies.