Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Council tax and benefits
  3. Housing benefits and Universal Credit
  4. Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a benefit for working age people who are on a low income or out of work. It replaces these benefits and tax credits:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income-based Jobseekers’ allowance
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits

You cannot usually get any of these benefits or tax credits separately if you get Universal Credit. If you are already claiming at least one of these benefits or tax credits and your circumstances do not change, the DWP will transfer you onto Universal Credit at a later date. 

For help with housing costs you will need to apply directly to The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

How to apply

West Oxfordshire is in a Full Universal Credit Area so you will need to apply direct to The Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) for help towards your Housing costs.

Universal Credit is claimed and managed online. 

Apply for Universal Credit

How we can help

Although Universal Credit is run by the DWP, we are here to support you. We provide help and financial advice if you are struggling to manage payments. Call our benefits team on 01993 861030 or email

The council tax support page has additional support for paying council tax.

The discretionary housing payments page offers help people who are receiving their Housing costs paid through Universal Credit but are struggling to pay their rent, or need help with moving costs or rent in advance.