Skip to main content

Coronavirus (COVID-19) For information on changes to our services, how to get help, support your community, advice and grants for employers and businesses visit our Coronavirus pages.

  1. Home
  2. Planning and building
  3. Planning permission
  4. Find out if you need planning permission

Find out if you need planning permission

Some types of development do not need planning permission. This is called permitted development. In some areas permitted development rights may be restricted, for example, if you are in a conservation area.

Article 4 directions remove permitted development rights for certain types of new development. We have introduced an article 4 direction to stop changes from offices to residential without first applying for planning permission. 

Find out whether you need planning permission on some of the most common types of projects. Common projects include, loft conversions, porches and smaller single storey house extensions.

You will need to apply for planning permission for most major changes to buildings or a change of use.

It is your responsibility to find out if you need planning permission or not.

If you don’t need planning permission

You may not need planning permission but you could still need building regulations approval.

Prior approval and notification

You may need to let us know what you are going to do, this is known as prior approval, which is required for:

  • larger home extensions
  • agricultural or forestry developments
  • demolition of buildings
  • developments for electronic communications networks

Getting proof that your development is legal

If your development is permitted development you can get proof by applying for a lawful development certificate. There are two kinds of certificate:

  • for proposed work 
  • for work which has already been done, including those in breach of a planning condition